This building served as a depot from the 1890's to the 1950's and served the Chicago, Indiana and Southern Railroad and the New York Center Lines. Excursions from towns west of Kankakee to St. Joseph, Indiana typically cost $1-$2. It has been fully restored and currently houses permanent displays of railroad artifacts and military memorabilia and photos of Momence area veterans.
The first "Little Red Schoolhouse" also known as Mt. Airy was built in 1853. It was moved to its current location and has been restored and finished with genuine artifacts and memorabilia. It was dedicated in 1983 "to the many women who taught in these less than ideal conditions".
The former Conrad Bakery once stood on this park island which was generously donated by Merlin and Donna Karlock to the City of Momence. The visionary, local teacher, and historian, Kay Hess, led a group of volunteers to build a replica of a log cabin in memory of the men and women who settled this area. This Pioneer Log Cabin was dedicated during Momence's Sesquicentennial in 1983.
This unique property, built in 1869, was purchased by the City of Momence in 1973. The House was destined to be demolished until members of the Momence Women's Club approached then Mayor Rex Rowe and the City Council with a proposal to preserve the house. Its restoration, between January 2013 and November 2014, was made possible by the generosity of the Van Drunen Family.
Constructed in 1926 by St. Patrick Church members, the grotto provides visitors to Momence with a spot of peace and solitude in a lovely park setting in this quiet area of Momence.
Momence's historic district was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 due to the efforts of Main Street Momence. It was recognized for the wide variety of architectural styles, the use of enameled brick manufactured by the Tiffany Brick Company and the quality of several key buildings - the First National Bank, Parish Bank, Momence State & Savings Bank, Momence Theater and the Jensen Drug Store building.
The district's boundary begins at the corner of Pine Street and heads East on Second Street to Locust Street then South on Locust to River Street to Pine Street and back North on Pine Street to Second Street.
Constructed in 1885 as the Central House Hotel Livery, the building has housed many businesses over the years. Although much is new construction, the original facade of the building remains, with its six windows and rounded entry stable doors facing Range Street, or the current Dixie Highway, just as they did in the 19th Century.
Rich in Momence history, the building stands as a lasting tribute to those who lived and worked here through the years.
The museum itself is a piece of history, with the façade on Dixie Highway being a part of an original horse livery stable. Visitors will stroll through an authentically-furnished four-room house from the 1940s, and go back in time to visit an 1870’s farmhouse kitchen. The barn area features antique farm tools and equipment, from an original 1880 John Deere prairie plow to Schoeffner’s own 1951 Massey-Harris tractor. Personal items from Schoeffner’s childhood also create a vivid picture of life on the farm in the 1940s. On display are games, toys, art projects, and writing assignments from young Earl’s days in a one-room schoolhouse in Momence.
This memorial to Admiral Boorda is a beautiful feature of Conrad Park. Admiral J. Michael Boorda was CNO of the U.S. Navy from 1994-1996 and former resident of Momence. Artist Ed McCullough was commissioned by classmates and friends to design and create this stainless steel sculpture which was dedicated in November 2000.
The 50-foot diameter memorial was dedicated on September 15, 2007, honoring all Momence-area veterans. Five flags representing each branch of the military are flown constantly. Over 350 veteran's plaques are displayed at the park. The memorial was placed near the schools to enable Momence youth to learn about and remember the sacrifices of the hundreds of men and women from our community who served our nation.
At the center of this memorial is a life-size bronze status of Air Force Colonel Jim Kasler of Momence. Colonel Kasler is the only 3-time recipient of the Air Force Cross, the second highest award for wartime valor. A combat veteran of three wars — World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War — Kasler was a fighter pilot and was recognized as an ace.
Kasler served in the United States Air Force from 1944 to 1975. He flew a combined 198 combat missions - first as a tailgunner in a B-29 bomber during World War II, then he flew an F86 Sabrejet during the Korean War, and finally flying a P105 jet in Vietnam where he was shot down and held as a prisoner of war from August 1966 until March 1973. He was awarded 76 military awards for valor and service, including the three air force crosses
The 16ft monument on a concrete base represents a volunteer soldier at a parade rest to honor the many men who served with the 42nd, 78th and 113th Illinois Infantry and the Illinois 47th Calvary during the Civil War (1861-1865). It was with the determination of the Momence Women's Relief Corps the statue was erected on the front lawn of the old Central School. It was dedicated by Illinois Governor Charles Deneer on July 5, 1909. The statue is presently located in the beautiful Momence Lions Club Park and sits just a few feet Southeast of its original placement.
Between 1822-1824 Gurdon S Hubbard and other fur traders travelled the original trail between Vincennes and Chicago along the present day Dixie Hwy (Route 1) setting up trading posts along the way. The trail - known as Hubbard's Trail - later was made the site of the first official state route, the Chicago-Vincennes road by the Illinois General Assembly in 1835.
In the early 1830's the Hess' settled East of Momence and South of the Kankakee River in an area that became commonly known as "Hess' Slough". Their efforts ae memorialized with a stone marker and plaque which reads "Walter, Andrew and George Hess, Pioneers whose frontier courage, strength and spirit typified the early days in the Kankakee Valley - settled here in 1839" The Hess' coat of arms is also encased in the huge rock.